Friday 13 April 2018

How the Most 'Unseen' Parts of Motherhood Can Be the Most Important

Following up my post about the turning point of motherhood, I wanted to share some of the ways I have been practicing this mindfulness in my personal life.

I, of course, am not an expert. This is a decision I need to make daily, often moment-to-moment.

And I definitely do not get it right every day. Because, let's not be precious, some days I am not my best.


My inspiration has been largely from the book The People of the Towel and Water by Catherine Doherty. (I highly recommend this book if you are really feeling inspired to make this change.)

The quote I repeat to myself most often when I need a reminder is:
Unless you pray while you work, the work will disappear, and there will be nothing left but a great and immense void.
My days are full. I really could be working from the moment I lift my head to the moment I lay it down.

But this work I do really will disappear. 


Are You Ready to Make a Choice?

The boys need clean clothes, these clothes need to be returned to drawers. Benedict needs me to patiently wait for him to dig through these drawers, finding the perfect shirt for the day. But this is not the stuff of an autobiography. It is necessary, but not great.

Not in-and-of itself, that is.

But in each of these small duties, I have a choice.


To grumble through folding clothes, to do my task carelessly. To rush Benedict, interfere with his choice. 

Or to treat that duty of the moment as my duty to God.

An opportunity for intentions, for a little love song to my family members. Each drawer closed with a sense of order that spills from one drawer to the next and into our home, creating an atmosphere of peace, of love, of security.

Each day as I sit patiently with Benedict a confirmation of his importance, his competence, his needs.

These are no small aspirations.


How Laundry Becomes Part of my Great Work

Laundry has given me ample cause for grumbling in the past.

Turning each and every arm of Tharin’s shirts out. Pulling balled up underwear out of the legs of Jerome’s pants. Sorting socks and never having all the pairs.

Does anyone love these chores?


All of these movements are fruitless, disappearing at the end of the day.

Until I make it a choice.

As I hang Tharin’s shirts and fold his pants, to do so carefully, pouring love into each item for the next time he will wear it.
Praying for his day, for my intentions for him.
Praying for those in unloving and unhappy marriages.
Praying for the graces I need to be a more supportive and loving wife.

As I line the ottoman in our room with tiny items of clothing, to pray for my boys.
Praying they may develop to the fullness of their capacity and talents.
Praying for the graces I need to observe, to let them grow, to nurture them.
Praying for children who are in abusive homes, or unloved.

Unmatched socks become prayers for those who are searching, those who need healing, forgiveness, love.

The intentions are limitless as I move through the mundane tasks of my day.

And every diligent moment invites a small change in me, in my home, in my vocation.

The kind of mother I want to be, the model I want my children to follow, depends on moments like this because sacrifice, self-discipline, diligence are changing me.

Want to read the book that first inspired me to do the duty of the moment with cheerfulness? Catherine Doherty, in all her wisdom, really changed my life through The People of the Towel and Water.


Thank you for reading! If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact me. I would also love to hear any suggestions for posts you would like me to write about. And if you are interested in following along in our daily adventures, follow us on Instagram where I post daily.

God bless,
Olivia Fischer


No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10