Tuesday 24 July 2018

What Your Child Could Be Doing Instead of Using a Screen

I have mentioned before that we limit the kid's screen time, which I know can be difficult for some families, so I thought I would share some of what our kids do instead in those moments.

You know, the witching hour right before supper.
To wind down before bedtime. 
In hotel rooms.
On long road trips.
When I want to have a moment of rest.



Is Screen Time Really the Best Option?

In these situations, I try to keep in mind why I am tempted to turn a show on, and sometimes, we do decide the situation calls for screen time. We are not completely screen-free, as we do feel there are some good-quality programs out there that we are comfortable with our kids watching.

However, in those moments when we might be tempted to use screens as a babysitter, Tharin and I have tried to encourage the boys to instead do one of the activities I mention below, and have found this to be so beneficial for the boys.

They have become so much better at finding constructive ways to entertain themselves, even in difficult situations, and have such rich imaginations.



Some Activities For Kids to Do Instead of Turning on a Screen

  • Play with toys (we do toy rotation, so this is a good time to pull out something "new")
  • Listen to an audiobook or story
  • Listen to music
  • Read books (either alone or with a parent)
  • Make puzzles or play a board game (either alone or with a parent)
  • Work on a craft, painting, drawing
  • Use playdough or clay
  • Go in the bath
  • Play outside in the yard
  • Build lego
  • Work with something on their shelves
  • Help in the kitchen
  • Do something practical like cleaning a window (yes this is sometimes exactly what they need)

These are just a few of the go-to activities in our house, which the boys will think of for themselves, or that I will offer them if they need redirection or an opportunity to concentrate.

What are some ways go-to activities you can come up with for your home in order to reduce screen-time?


Thank you for reading! If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact me. I would also love to hear any suggestions for posts you would like me to write about. And if you are interested in following along in our daily adventures, follow us on Instagram where I post daily.



God bless,
Olivia Fischer

No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10