Tuesday 13 November 2018

Meet the Dad: Interview with my Montessori Husband

I have had a lot of questions about how Tharin came to be involved and supportive about Montessori and homeschooling, so I thought I would put together an interview with him, answering some of these questions.


 First of all, when I first started learning about Montessori I talked about it a lot, whether he was interested in hearing about it or not. I felt really passionate about what I was learning, and I couldn't help but talk about it with him.

But, because we already agreed on most parenting philosophy in the first place, it was not a huge leap for us to embrace Montessori, it felt like a pretty natural progression from what we already believed in for our kids.

Tharin was raised by the most gentle and radically kind mother, so in some ways, the things I learned about in Montessori in regards to respecting children and supporting their interests came really naturally to him because of how he had been raised.

If you have any more questions, please send me a direct message via email, Instagram, or Facebook. I would love to hear from you.




What about parenting do you find most rewarding?

I didn't have the best relationship with my dad as a kid, so I love the opportunity to create these deep and loving relationships with my kids, and to share so many good experiences and memories with them. Being a dad, and getting to love these little people is the most fulfilling job.


What about parenting do you find most challenging?

When you feel like you have tried every approach to help them with a behavior and nothing seems to help.


What was the first thing you loved about Montessori? What convinced you that Montessori was right for our family?

When I actually experienced the kids doing things for themselves, especially things that most adults would assume need to be done for them, I was so impressed.

For example, one of the first things I remember Olivia setting up was a water dispenser for Jerome to serve himself water. At first, it seems like it would be this thing that turned into a huge mess - I think most adults would think that, but I saw how responsible Jerome was when we trusted him with it, and that just made so much sense to me.


What do you think makes a beautiful childhood?

Being able to have a lot of imaginative play. As a kid I loved using my imagination, dressing up, and making up stories, and I would love to see my kids doing the same thing.

I also think it is really important for us to be really involved and hands-on. As a parent, I want to prioritize making memories and traditions with our kids.


If you could share advice with other Montessori dads, what would it be?

You basically need to have a patient mindset in all situations. Especially with Montessori, there are so many things it would be easier to just take away or do yourself. But it's good for the kids to be involved and have those experiences, whether it's helping with something in the kitchen, or being the ones to clean up the big mess they made.

It's easy to have the mentality that "I'll just do it," but you need to lose that mentality and slow down a little to let the kids help.


What are your thoughts on homeschooling? 

My first opinion on homeschooling was that if Olivia thought she could do it, I supported her and believed she could do it, as well. I saw the way she had already been doing Montessori activities in our home and it seemed like a natural fit for us.

I think that, with homeschooling, we will be able to nurture our children and help them learn things that are applicable to real life, give them useful skills, and support their interests, more easily.


How do you think Montessori will affect our homeschool journey?

Montessori will just mean our homeschool is more hands-on and follows what the kids are interested in, instead of just following a curriculum and what our kids are expected to learn.


Thank you so much for stopping by today!




If you are interested in following along in our daily adventures, follow us on Instagram where I post daily.

God bless,
Olivia Fischer

No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10