Friday 17 August 2018

6 Tips to Thrift Shopping Success (From a Seasoned Thrift Shopper)

There is a certain art to thrift shopping successfully, and, as I've felt really blessed by my thrift shopping finds in the past, I thought it was time for me to share a few of my tips.

From one seasoned thrift shopping mama to you.

I'm really excited you've taken an interest in thrift shopping. You won't be sorry.


1. Know what you are looking for

I have an ongoing list on my phone, so when something like “white picture frame for that print I want to hang in the boys room” comes up, I know I want to keep my eye out for it.

Right now a few items on my list are:
Flower press
Metal pitcher for bathroom
Cake stand
Simple first puzzle for Ignatius

This list will be completely unique based on your needs and wants, but honestly, the sky is the limit with thrift shopping. As long as you follow the tips below.


2. Have your go-tos


In the same vein, there are certain areas of the thrift store I always comb through, so I always know to check there when I go. And I always go there first.

For me, these areas are:
toys
children’s games and puzzles
children’s books. 

I also regularly check the pictures and kitchen glassware section. With using glass for the kids, there are usually a few items that need to be replaced, like pitchers.


Your go-tos will be different. In fact, mine shift as well. If I am on the lookout for something specific like a new jean jacket, or a pair of shoes for Jerome, these areas will become my go-tos for a while until I find what I am looking for.

Which brings me to my next point.


3. Don’t expect it to be a one-stop shop

Those thrifters in your life that seem to find everything second hand may seem extremely lucky, and maybe that is part of it. But, from experience I know it is more likely that they are just really persistent.

It is rare to find exactly what you are looking for in one try.

More often than not, you will be hitting up your favorite thrift store upwards of three times before you find your items, so you better learn to love the hunt.


4. Learn to love the hunt

I decided to make this its own category, because honestly, in order to be successful with thrift shopping you have to be okay with hunting.

In that ten foot rack of shirts might be your new favorite shirt, but you have to be willing to comb through a hundred other (probably really bad) shirts just to find it.

You do get better at being able to judge pretty quickly what is worth stopping at and what you can just speed past. And when you know exactly what you are looking for, you know exactly what you aren’t looking for.

But no matter what, you have to have the patience and take the time to just look.


I think people who attempt thrift shopping and do not find it successful are the people who walk into a thrift store and are immediately overwhelmed.

Know where you need to go first, and just go there. And then don’t expect what you’re looking at to jump off the shelf at you.

It’s probably hiding behind that jumbled bag of McDonald’s toys or squished between those equestrian jigsaw puzzles. But you won’t find it unless you look.

And trust me, that feeling of finding your item for a fraction of the price will be all the motivation you need to do it all over again.


5. Don’t expect to find every item exactly as you want it

If that’s your mindset, you are probably better off shopping Amazon.

Thrifted finds often require just a little bit of compromise. Maybe the paint is already chipped or marked.
Maybe it's not the exact right color.
Or it’s missing a piece.

I mean, don’t stoop to buying garbage, by any means (and you will definitely see some garbage in your thrifting adventures) but, if you’re expecting to find something really specific and pristine, you probably won’t have the luck you want thrifting.

If you absolutely need something to be a certain way, buy it new.

But if you’re okay with a few dents, blemishes, or with it being a more vintage version of the thing you are looking for, by all means, hunt on.

And last of all . . .


6. Give yourself some parameters


It can be tempting to buy everything you see just in case or because of an amazing price.

But thrifters don’t have to be hoarders.

Set yourself a budget, like only bringing ten dollars cash in with you. 
Set yourself a limit, like you are only allowed to buy things on your predetermined list. 
Set yourself a time frame, like you only have twenty minutes in the store (because trust me, the longer you look, the more you will find. It’s just the way thrift stores work).

And then work within those parameters. 

If you can find the time and patience to do thrift shopping well, you won't be disappointed.


I honestly believe that God blesses the thrift shopper.

He blesses our persistence, our compromise on material possessions, our desire to spend less on things. He blesses us for humility, for self-control, for willingness to get dirty, and ultimately, for gratitude.


Thank you for reading! If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact me. I would also love to hear any suggestions for posts you would like me to write about. And if you are interested in following along in our daily adventures, follow us on Instagram where I post daily.



God bless,
Olivia Fischer

1 comment:

09 10